Bookmark and Share

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Poem A Day - Poem for April 8, 2009


This prompt to write about our routines took me so long to write. As you read it you will see why. I am not really happy with it, but it is going to have to do.

The prompt is from Poetic Asides with Robert Brewer and you can read all of the poems people posted if you go there. I hope some of you have gone there and are participating in either reading or writing a poem a day or both as I am doing:)


Routine

This poem is hard to write
because I have lost my routines
They’ve disappeared as I seem
to be doing
Dissipating without practice

Time is amorphous
Each day waking
at different hours
Half the day gone
Going downstairs to have
orange juice and vitamins
No matter the hour
Never forgetting

Then get dressed and out
for shopping or coffee
Sometimes for both
Sometimes just for picking
up Rachel and going for
coffee

The routine for coffee
Taking turns. Who will go into
the place?Your turn this time and
what do you want?
It’s always mocha or vanilla
What to choose

Cold or hot
Mocha or vanilla
With whipped cream or not
Open the car door get out
Go into Starbucks. Wait on
line and give the order
Three tall mocha skim lattes
with whipped cream

Now the snack
What to choose
Marble loaf or apple fritter
Mocha or vanilla latte
Apple fritter or marble loaf
Handing the money to the
person behind the counter
Giving the tip – usually a dollar
Waiting for the cups
Grabbing a cardboard holder
so I won’t spill them all
Carrying them to the car

Handing them through the
window and sitting down
Dividing the snack evenly
between the three of us
Taking the first warm or cold
sip of the coffee
Feeling it slide down my
throat as anticipated

Finish. Throw out the cups
Drive home to dinner
Or out to dinner
Home again for TV
Computer beckons
Email, Facebook, blog

Wake up tomorrow
Do it all over again
Guess this is a routine
after all.
copyright 2009 by Barbara Ehrentreu

***************************************************




My guest author for today is Katie Hines and her interview is coming up immediately. :) Please stop by and learn all about her new book coming out in June, 2009, Guardian, which is
an urban fantasy. I have read the synopsis and looking forward to reading the book. You won't want to miss this one.




Until then, thank you to the people who have commented on my poems. I'm not happy with all of them, but I'm still posting them here.

3 comments:

  1. Barbara, how are you able to come up with a new poem day after day??? Very creative indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, how are you able to come up with a new poem day after day??? Very creative indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi metablitz/Paramjit,

    I don't know.:) I've always been able to write when someone asked me to. Not everyone can do it, but there are so many people contributing to the blog where I'm first posting. At least 500-600 each day and sometimes there are more. I guess we are all starved for writing and so we write.:) For me sometimes it is difficult to find the right words, but thank you very much for appreciating it.:)

    As you can see writing is pretty much my life.:)

    ReplyDelete

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing