Bookmark and Share

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Day 7 - April Poem A Day

                            


I'm posting early today since I had the time. I would love if you would put a comment here to let me know what you thought of my poems. 


Urban Memories

As a young girl I roamed the city streets
in heels -- feet numb walking on pillows of pain
dressed later than my years to appear older
as I searched for a summer job 
the subway smells wafting through 
the gratings on the sidewalk
my youth apparent in the shy look
I gave to the officious secretaries
who stared at me as if I were a speck of dirt
and I dreamed at those times of someday
when I would have the city in my pocket
chauffeured in long sleek limousines
dining in the finest and laughing head back
as I sipped in the style of New York
one of the glitterati and not the one
descending into the bowels of the subway
to rub shoulders with all the others who
had the same dream.
copyright 2016 by Barbara Ehrentreu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing